I wanted to make Nabe; but I forgot to buy noodles and I am too
cheap student budget restricted to buy actual ingredients, thus, I made one up based on inspiration from Google recommendations.
- 1.5 pints boiling water
- Sugar (mirin replacement)
- 3 X chicken OXO cubes
- Soy Sauce
- Oyster Sauce (optional)
- 1 x pack seafood assortment from Tesco (prawn, mussels and squid rings)
- Chop all vegetables the same size as the prawns. Put everything into pan over FIRE (or a hob, whatever).
- Put some sugar, seasoning and OXO into a jug and drown in Soy Sauce. Mix with boiling water and pour over veg.
- Stir in some Oyster sauce for flavour; and more Soy if you want. The oyster does give a more fishy taste. Without any of the fish stuff the smell was really nice, so next time I am going to replace it with chicken and beef or something (maybe sausages.)
- Watch an episode of anime/do something constructive for 30 minutes and everything should be cooked and soft.
Quite fishy, but it did taste nice, and with all those vegetables it has to be healthy! Good with or without the fish.
However, in its current state it deserves no real remark. This may seem quite the boring blog post, but it gives facts, and that reflects this one pot/fake-Nabe perfectly. It is missing something vital, but it is quite delicious and enjoyable. You can’t argue with it but you want more than what it can offer. (Try noodles)